Negotiating Scope When the Date Can't Move
Makes the ship-now-versus-wait product call when engineering estimation and a committed date genuinely conflict — negotiating which slice ships, with the rest re-estimated openly, instead of absorbing the gap as unstated risk or a missed date.
What this is
A customer had a fixed date for a feature already committed to their own plan. Once I took the request to the engineering team that owned the work and got a real estimate, it was clear the full scope as requested could not land by that date — not as a pad or a guess, but as the team’s honest read once they saw the actual work involved.
The easy failure modes here are both bad: promise the date anyway and let engineering absorb an unrealistic timeline in silence, or quietly let the date slip without telling the customer until it’s obviously missed. Neither is a decision. Both are just deferred damage.
What I did
- Went back to engineering first to understand the feature at a task level: which parts were independently useful on their own, and which parts depended on something else being done first.
- Identified a working slice of the feature — not a stripped-down demo, but a genuinely usable subset — that the team’s real estimate said could land by the original date.
- Took that slice back to the customer as a proposal, not an apology: here is what ships on time and is usable as-is, here is what doesn’t fit in this window, and here is a real estimate for the rest.
- Negotiated the sequencing directly with the customer’s stakeholder, adjusting which pieces of the remainder came next based on what mattered most to them, not just engineering convenience.
- Fed the agreed sequence back into the delivery plan with the same rigor as the original commitment: owners, timelines, and tracking for the remaining slices, not a vague “later.”
Outcome and value
The original date held — not because engineering compressed an estimate it didn’t believe, and not because the shortfall was hidden until it was obvious, but because what shipped on that date was a genuinely usable slice both sides had agreed to. The customer got working functionality on their deadline and a real plan for the remainder; engineering got a timeline that matched the work. The value is turning a date-versus-estimate standoff into an explicit scope decision before it can become a missed commitment either side has to explain.
What this shows about how I operate
When a date and an honest estimate genuinely conflict, the job is not to pick a side by force — it’s to find the real, negotiable variable, which is almost always scope, and bring a concrete option to the customer instead of a problem. I own that negotiation directly: I don’t ask engineering to compress an estimate they don’t believe, and I don’t let the customer find out about a miss after the fact. The date holds, because what ships on it is what was actually agreed to.